The law library has many resources for sports and entertainment law research, like our detailed research guide, but today we want to introduce you to HeinOnline’s amazing database called “BLASE,” which is short for Business and Legal Aspects of Sports and Entertainment.
BLASE is the ultimate database for anyone interested in the legal implications of sports and entertainment industries. It’s like having your own personal coach to guide you through the legal hurdles of the entertainment industry, minus the sweat and the gym membership. It has books, scholarly articles, congressional documents, important cases, legislative histories, etc. It is intended to be a one-stop-shop for all of your sports and entertainment law needs.
For example, HeinOnline recently featured a blog post for Women’s History Month showing how someone could use BLASE called “Ball-Hers” about women’s basketball players. It’s like the perfect alley-oop for anyone interested in writing about women’s basketball.
But enough sports talk, let’s get technical: HeinOnline might seem overwhelming but it is jam-packed with features to help researchers find what they need efficiently. This is especially important for HeinOnline because it is a deep database that covers a lot of territory (making it a very efficient place for you to start your searches).
HeinOnline is a valuable tool that can help you find the legal and academic materials you need. Here are some of the features of HeinOnline that are especially useful for students:
- Bluebook citations that you can cut and paste.
- One-Box Searching: This feature allows you to search across all of HeinOnline’s content using a single search bar, making it easy to find relevant materials quickly.
- Filters: When you perform a search, you can use the filters on the left-hand side of the results page to refine your results by date, author, subject, and more.
- MyHein: This feature lets you save documents, create bookmarks, and set up alerts for new content that matches your interests. You can also use MyHein to keep track of your research history and to share documents with other users.
- Citation Searching: If you have a citation for a particular article or document, you can use HeinOnline’s citation search feature to locate it quickly.
- Browsing by Topic or Author: HeinOnline’s collections are organized by topic, making it easy to browse for materials related to your research interests. You can also search for materials by author if you are looking for works by a particular scholar.
- A deep database of thorough guides and a Knowledge Base for technical training.
Here is a brief video overview of HeinOnline’s features:
So whether you’re interested in sports law, entertainment law, or just looking for a little bit of fun, BLASE is the database for you. Start exploring today and if you need an assist from a seasoned research veteran, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of the coaches (law librarians) at the Ross-Blakely Law Library.